Corona virus (CoV) are a family of viruses that cause illness in humans. It starting from the cold to severe respiratory syndrome-like Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SAR-CoV).
The novel 2019 corona virus (COVID-19), which is now officially renamed the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Corona virus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), was identified in Wuhan, China, towards the top of 2019.
This new virus is spreading person-to-person in 90 countries and territories, of which 80% of cases are in China. It’s affected thousands, with a rising death toll of over 3,390.
Where Do Corona Viruses Come From?
Corona virus are common in both humans and animals. There’s a good range of animals that are known to be the source of corona virus.
For instance, SAR-CoV was transmitted from civet cats, and MERS-CoV originated from camels . However, animal coronaviruses affecting humans are rather rare. Sometimes, coronaviruses that affect animals are often transmitted to humans, evolving into a replacement corona virus – just like the novel coronavirus – 2019 .
How Does COVID-19 Spread? Is It Contagious?
Yes, it’s contagious. COVID-19 can spread from person-to-person through respiratory droplets . When an infected person coughs or sneezes, if the droplets land within the mouths or noses of individuals nearby (who are in close contact, within 6 feet). There are high chances of them being exposed to the COVID-19 virus.
It can be exposed to COVID-19 by coming in touch with a surface or object that has the virus on it. Fortunately, unlike other highly transmissible diseases, this virus cannot remain airborne for long.
Currently, there’s no research to verify its spread through food. Because of its poor survivability, this virus might not spread from food products or other items that are shipped over days or weeks or consumed after long hours.
The time period (time between exposure to the virus and therefore the arrival of symptoms) for COVID-19 is estimated between 2-14 days.
This virus can spread easily in communities, and for each one infected person. Two people can potentially get the infection if they are doing not practice hand hygiene and other preventive measures.
What Are The Symptoms Of Coronavirus ( COVID-19 )?
The current symptoms of this infection are described to possess flu-like characteristics. These symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure:
- Shortness of breath
Call your doctor immediately if you develop these symptoms and are in contact with an infected person. If you’ve got traveled from an area that has widespread COVID-19, please visit your doctor immediately. More critical cases can develop pneumonia-like symptoms, like acute respiratory distress syndrome. People with a chronic condition are susceptible to severe illness.
How Is Coronavirus ( COVID-19 ) Diagnosed?
Your healthcare provider can determine if your symptoms are explained by other causes or by COVID-19. If the laboratory tests are confirmed, your healthcare provider will collaborate with health officials in your state to gather clinical specimens for diagnosis.
How To Protect Yourself From Coronavirus ( COVID-19 ) ?
According to the Centers For Disease Control And Prevention, the simplest way to steer beyond this virus is by following some basic preventive measures which will control the spread of COVID-19 . They include:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds. Do that as often as you’ll , especially after coughing, before eating, after using the washroom, and after any contact with animals.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizers that contains a minimum of 60% alcohol.
- Refrain from touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Maintain a minimum of 6 feet distance from infected persons.
- Avoid going to public gatherings. Stay home the maximum amount as possible.
- Always cover your sneeze and cough with a tissue and eliminate it immediately.
- Keep your things clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Practice food safety. Use separate chopping boards and utensils for meat. Wash your hands after touching meat .
What should be Hand wash Technique?
According to the CDC, washing hands regularly can avoid the spread of varied diseases.An effective hand wash technique involves 5 steps:
- Wet – Wet your hands.
- Lather – After applying the soap, rub your hands together and lather between the fingers and therefore the back of the hands.
- Scrub – Scrub your hands a minimum of for 20 seconds.
- 4 Rinse – Rinse well with warm water.
- Dry – Pat your hands dry employing a towel.
If you’ve got spent time in any of the current affected areas:
- Stay at home for 15 days.
- Do not travel by public transport.
- If you’re showing even the slightest symptoms, visit your healthcare provider immediately.
What Precautions Should people that Are In Close Contact With A Symptomatic Individual Take?
According to the CDC and WHO, you would like to follow these precautions if you’re in contact with an affected person:
- Monitor your health
- Monitor the person’s symptoms.
- Household members should stay during a separate room and use a separate bathroom, if available.
- Do not encourage visitors.
- Do not let the pets near the patient.
- 6 Perform strict hand hygiene.
- Disinfect the surfaces often.
- Wear disposable masks and gloves.
- Avoid sharing home items with the patient.
- Change the bedding regularly, and don’t let it touch you.
- Discuss any additional guidelines with the respective healthcare provider.
What Treatments Are Available For Coronavirus ( COVID-19 ) ?
According to the Centers For Disease Control And Prevention,currently there’s no specific treatment for COVID-19. People with COVID-19 should receive immediate care to help manage the symptoms.
How Long Does Coronavirus ( COVID-19 ) Last?
Most people affected with COVID-19 may recover within 2-3 weeks. However, the recovery time varies from person-to-person, counting on their immunity levels. People with pneumonia take longer to recover. In critical cases, it’s going to take months to recover, or the person may die.
Will Heat Kill Coronavirus ( COVID-19 )?
It is thought that COVID-19 can survive for up to four days on surfaces. Some researchers say that the survivability of those viruses could be reduced during the summer. However, there’s currently no data on how heat can affect the virus.
Does A Mask Protect You From Coronavirus ( COVID-19 )?
The CDC doesn’t recommend healthy people to wear a mask to protect themselves from COVID-19. If you’re not infected, you would like not wear a mask. you simply got to wear a mask if you’re taking care of an infected person. the aim of a mask is to stop the spread of the disease to others.
How To Wear on A Mask?
- Clean your hands with an alcohol-based sanitizer before putting on the mask.
- Cover your nose and mouth with the mask.
- Ensure to not leave any gaps between your face and therefore the mask.
- Do not reuse single-use masks.
Coronavirus ( COVID-19 ) In Babies – Are Children At Risk?
There is no evidence that children are in danger of this virus. Most confirmed cases, as of now, are seen in adults. Only a few young children are reported to possess COVID-19. However, to get on the safe side, children are advised to practice general preventive measures.
Which age group Is At Increased Risk?
According to the WHO, medium-aged people are at higher risk of contracting COVID-19 . Only a few cases are detected among children below 10 years.
What’s The Current death rate Of Coronavirus?
The World Health Organisation estimates 3.4% death rate as of March 3, 2020 .